This Content Is Only For Subscribers
The Department of Conservation is proposing to remove two weather-damaged walking tracks near Mautohe Cathedral Cove as it shifts investment towards protecting access to the iconic Coromandel destination.
DOC says the proposal would see investment prioritised towards Mautohe Cathedral Cove, while the Waimata-Gemstone Bay Track and Hahei Beach Short Walk would be removed.
Known internationally for its rock arch and coastal scenery, Mautohe Cathedral Cove remains one of the main attractions within the wider DOC-managed coastal reserve between Whitianga and Hahei.
However, the area has become increasingly vulnerable to landslides and severe weather events, including damage caused by Cyclone Gabrielle in 2023 and Cyclone Vaianu earlier this year.
Recent work to reinstate the Waimata-Gemstone Bay Track and Hahei Beach Short Walk was undone during storms in January 2026, although contractors were able to clear debris and reopen the main access track to Mautohe Cathedral Cove.
‘Reached a tipping point’
DOC principal advisor strategic projects Tania Short says repeated storm damage has made ongoing repairs unsustainable.
“When we committed to rebuilding these tracks, we cautioned it came with the risk of further storm and landslide damage – unfortunately, that’s exactly what has happened,” Tania says.
“We had started a repair project at Waimata Gemstone Bay which, ultimately, was thwarted by another extreme weather event impacting Coromandel.”
Tania says the geological instability of the area means storm damage is likely to continue recurring.
She says DOC recognises some members of the community will be disappointed by the proposal but limited funding means spending must be prioritised.
“Over the last few years, the local community has made it clear Mautohe Cathedral Cove is the priority – and our proposal to remove these two nearby tracks responds to that.”
Public feedback sought
DOC has begun discussions with stakeholder groups and released two option papers outlining the rationale behind the proposal and the challenges associated with continued repairs.
Feedback on the proposal is open until June 19 via email to [email protected]


